08 April 2014

Book Review: Delighting in the Trinity

Delighting in the Trinity (2012) by Michael Reeves was one of the five books on the Trinity recommended by Larry Crabb at the School of Spiritual Direction that I attended last week. I started with this one, primarily because of price.

I am glad I started with this one and now I am eager to read more. Reeves is a humorous, engaging writer who discusses the importance of understanding the doctrine of the Trinity for Christian belief. Prior to reading this book, I would have happily endorsed the importance of the Trinity, but I am quite certain I didn't understand the full implications. I suspect I would have said that I believe in the Trinity because I believe it is what is taught by the Bible, but now I would add that it seems to me that not only does the Bible teach it, but that in order for an eternal God to be "loving" the Trinity is logically required.

Having used a word phrase like "logically required", I certainly hope that it doesn't scare you off from this book. I found myself drawn to God as Reeves presented Him. A Trinitarian God is able to love me ferociously, and subsequently enable to me to love.  Furthermore, His holiness and even His wrath make more sense in the light of the Trinity.

In addition to his clear writing, Reeves features short vignettes from many of the Reformers and early church fathers to make his case.

I would highly recommend this book.  

No comments: